:: Re: [DNG] Who remembers rootkit..
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Jimmy Johnson
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Who remembers rootkit..
On 10/23/18 2:19 PM, eric wrote:
> On 10/23/18 9:24 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>> First of all it was the Intel system that was giving me the problem,
>> it's now a file server, it's using Trinity desktop on ASCII, the
>> application is 'ksystemlog', and that laptop has 8 systems installed
>> all some kind of KDE and somebody mentioned DRM, I don't know about
>> that, but the behavior was unacceptable, I pulled that laptop and
>> replaced it with another that is not Intel and my system seems normal
>> now even while running the plasma5-desktop, so the problem was intel,
>> driver, firmware, microcode, I don't know, still testing, always
>> testing.  Old stable systems like Ubuntu 14.4 + KDE4, Wheezy + KDE4,
>> Devuan Jessie + KDE4 don't seem to have the problem with the Intel
>> HDMI but none of them use kernel version 4.XXX, they are version 2 or
>> 3. All those systems and more are installed on the Intel laptop.
>>

> Thank you for the information.  I downloaded ksystemlog and it is a nice
> graphical application for viewing many different logs.
>
> I think all the computers I work with now are all intel based.  I don't
> run any servers and just support mine and my extended family's computers
> of whom I have convinced to run GNU/Linux on.  My desktop computer uses
> HDMI to connect to the monitor and I use HDMI on my laptop when using it
> for presentations.
>
> Now have something more to look at to see what is going on "behind the
> curtain" even though I am sure I will not understand most of it and have
> to use web searches for messages that look interesting.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Eric

I don't think you will see the audio/video blackout problem with a
regular tv, but you may, I have that setup too but not using intel. What
I see in the log you should still see, I think anybody using intel will
see strange system log just by bringing down eth0 while having no wifi
connected, you may have to remark-out hot-plug in
/etc/network/interfaces or the device may reconnect whenever you
disconnect. What anybody should see when they bring down eth0 is a
attempt for the kernel to bring the internet connection back up and will
probably succeed, maybe your firewall will stop it from getting outside,
maybe not, leave the log open overnight while eth0 is disconnected and
you sleep for more reading pleasure.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - KDE 4.14.38 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263