:: Re: [DNG] Who remembers rootkit..
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Jimmy Johnson
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Who remembers rootkit..
On 10/21/18 11:54 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> On 10/21/18 6:24 AM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>>

>> On 21/10/18 21:10, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>>> I first noticed it while testing Stretch, I run a multimedia setup
>>> no problem with Jessie without systemd or wheezy, I was running a
>>> intel laptop HDMI to a big screen smart tv, the screen would go
>>> black and the audio would stop, I'm not the only on who has seen
>>> the problem as it's been mentioned on the Debian mailing list.
>>> Since then I have ran it on other systems, like Devuan, PCLinuxOS
>>> and Slackware too and have seen the the problem in real time while
>>> looking at the system log and I would see the kernel making calls
>>> to get a outside HTTP, I bring down my net connection and the
>>> kernel calls avahi daemon to bring it back up and make a HTTP
>>> connection, I stop avahi daemon and the kernel binds with the NIC
>>> and tries to get outside HTTP, that's where my firewall stops it.
>>> But the kernel keeps trying over and over and over endlessly to
>>> get outside HTTP and all this makes it imposable to watch my movie.
>>> Using the Intel laptop was convenient, but I got the idea to try my
>>> AMD nvidia desktop, I got the same kernel activity but no
>>> interference with audio/video, I'm now using ATI Radeon laptop,
>>> works the same as nvidia or maybe it's because their both AMD as I
>>> don't have nvidia or ATI running on a intel system that I can
>>> test.
>>>
>>> Questions?
>>
>> Is the cable perhaps 1.4 type with built-in Ethernet?  Wonder if that
>> might have something to do with it too.  The SmartTV might be doing
>> the communication attempts.  Maybe it is trying to tattle on you for
>> using video that it /thinks/ is breaking digital rights.. maybe
>> something else entirely.  If the kernel is making the HTTP calls, it
>> might be under direction of the video driver that is able to network
>> with the screen via the HDMI cable.
>>
>> Cheers
>

> The smart tv has wifi, like all this smart stuff we have today, if the
> HDMI cable has internet, I doubt it, just audio and video.
>
> Just so everybody knows the laptop for multimedia, amd radeon has a new
> from scratch install of ASCII, I've let it set overnight with a movie on
> pause and the log is open and running live and while I've had the net
> down the log says:eth0 link down, receive packet failed, dhclent failed
> to send 300 byte long packet over fallback interface(what fallback
> interface?), and last is send_packet: please consult README file
> regarding broadcast address.
>
> That was the last log, since I brought the net down and it's much, much
> quieter and seems to be behaving its self and my audio/video seem to be
> perfect.  I have a computer to repair, a laptop with no power, as I
> suffer spine & nerve damage & constant pain it maybe a all day job.  So
> I will be checking comments when I can.  But for ASCII and it seems to
> be behaving its self, that is great, with the intel its behavior was crazy.
>
> Thanks,

The whole Intel HDMI Laptop thing I don't think I would have ever seen
if not using the HDMI connected to a smart tv, but I put the blame on
the Intel system because the kernel activity continue even while HDMI is
not in use. Apparently there is some controversy over intel driver e1000
or using e1000e noted by both lwn.net and Linus, apparently e1000e is
used even when not needed or wanted.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - KDE 4.14.38 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263