:: Re: [DNG] Command to permanently pr…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Command to permanently prevent sysvinit from starting daemon
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 16:00:08 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 23/10/2018 à 15:45, Stephan Seitz a écrit :

> >> Why would this have been removed?  Is it no longer wanted for
> >> systemd users?  Or is there some other, perhaps legitimately
> >> technical, reason for its removal?
> >
> > As far as I know chkconfig was never a Debian tool. I only know it
> > from RPM distros. Maybe someone tried to include chkconfig in
> > Debian, but gave up later. Or it never really worked.
>
>     I think this is desired only if you want to enable both rc init
> scripts and runit scripts on the same system, which, in my opinion is
> not a sane configuration.

"Sane configuration."

Have you been talking to my psychiatrist again? I was involuntarily
committed in 2009 for running daemontools (basically same as runit
in this mode of operation) on top of sysvinit (or was it upstart).
Student psychiatrists would be brought to my room, to see this guy who
added the complexity of daemontools to sysvinit. And furthering my
psychosis was the fact that I regularly wrote my own daemons, *which
did not background themselves*. And I wrote them in Python,
as ordinary programs employing a loop, with info and error messages
coming out stderr. I wrote my own daemons at the drop of a hat: It was
easy. I even had my own cron replacement daemon, littcron, which was
easier to deal with than the real cron. I was regularly the case study
in the psychiatry school.

I finally got out of the mental hospital in 2015. I ran with runit as
PID1 *and* daemon supervision, with no sysvinit in sight. I temporarily
moved my home grown daemons to fire off of cron instead of running as
daemons. They declared me cured and let me out.

Didier, if you happen to run into my psychiatrist again, please don't
tell him I'm still writing my own daemons in Python. Whatever you do,
please don't let him know I still use littcron. And for gosh sakes,
please, please, please don't tell him about my reminder_check daemon,
which pops up a GUI warning box when some other daemons begin to
malfunction.

runsvdir -P /run/runit/runsvdir/current
\_ runsv littcron
| \_ /usr/bin/python3 /d/at/python/littcron/littcron.py /d/at/python/littcron/crontab

 \_ runsv reminder_check
    \_ /usr/bin/python3 /d/at/python/reminder_check/reminder_check.py

Don't try this outside the asylum, folks!

Not a sane configuration my aunt's hat!

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz