:: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the logger program for runit logging?
Le 23/10/2018 à 05:58, mett a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> by the way, what do u think about
> what is written on that page regarding
> logging?
>
> http://jdebp.eu./FGA/unix-daemon-design-mistakes-to-avoid.html

    The fan-in/fan-out argument is an issue if you send massive amounts
of data to syslog(). In this case, rather use another path to the
rsyslog daemon; it can accomodate many GB per day; I haven't hit a
limit;  but this concerns your own applications; system daemons don't
send massive amounts of logs.

    About the argument on UDP: this concerns the transfer of messages
by the local syslog server to a remote syslog server (for the purpose of
centralizing the logs). This critic is deprecated, rsyslog had the
option of using tcp for many years. And other means are added from time
to time.

    I find the rest of the arguments fallacious. By writing to a file
you loose many of the advantages of syslog:

       filtering based on severity and content (filtering on severity
is very usefull for debugging).

       dispatching to files, remote hosts and/or data-bases.

       actions based on message contents, such as sending emails and/or
invoking custom applications or scripts.

    Didier