:: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the…
Góra strony
Autor: KatolaZ
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the logger program for runit logging?
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 04:59:16PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

[cut]

> Hi Daniel,
>
> You were so thorough giving facts that I didn't understand your answer:
> Would you recommend using logger to transfer daemon stderr (and
> configurationally stdout) to the log files?
>
> You appeared (to me) to say that logger does per default log to the
> system logger, and (my interpretation but I know little) that system
> logger could be either syslog-ng or rsyslog. If my two intrpretations
> earlier this paragraph are true, I personally would draw the conclusion
> that logger will write the logs regardless of whether the computer is
> set up for syslog-ng, rsyslog, or some other log writer, and thus
> logger would be the best and most widely compatible choice.
>
> Do you agree that logger would be the best and most widely compatible
> choice?

I guess I might have missed one of the points here: normally daemons
provide their own way of logging to the system logger (they basically
use the syslog facilities). So which logs are we talking about here?
What shall runit redirect to logger which will in turn redirect to the
system logger?

My2Cents

KatolaZ