:: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Everyone OK for using the logger program for runit logging?
Le 21/10/2018 à 20:18, Steve Litt a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> With runit, you can either use the "runit way" of recording log files,
> in which one looks in the daemon's run directory for something
> called .main, or you can use one of several logging programs. I'm using
> logger, and a Devuan ASCII VM guest I downloaded has the logger program
> and I didn't install it.
>
> The logger program appears to put messages with the correct timestamp,
> correct tag, and message, in the proper log file. This log file
> was /var/log/messages for logins to ssh.
>
> I have to choose one method of doing logs for Devuan's daemon log run
> scripts. Is doing it with the logger program OK with you?
>
> SteveT

    syslog daemons are very convenient, rsyslogd, for example, features
a lot of methods to dispatch/centralize logs on the LAN and perform
several other actions. It is very usefull in an environment with several
interoperating hosts. The pprinciple is to not write the log to a file
but use the syslog mechanism (socket and lock) and let the syslog daemon
(eg rsyslogd) manage the logs.

        Didier