:: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 08:59:12AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 08:48:14 -0400
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>

> > Or make one package for each daemon's runit directory and make that
> > package depend on the daemon's own package.
>
> That's a lot of work. I'd need considerable help.

I wish I knew more about how to do this.

Is it significantly more work than just writing the runit scripts/directories
(which is the right word to use here; I've alredy been called out for
talking about systemd scripts instead of systemd units)? Presumably
all these packages are very similar, and the process of wrapping a packaage
around a script/directory could even be automated.

> > If several daemons are together in one package one could combine
> > their runit directories in on package too, but that's probably not
> > necessary.
>
> Just have all three of them active and have their run scripts do the
> proper dependencies. If they need to be shut down in a certain order,
> that would involve an additional shellscript.
>

> > This way runit packages could be gradually, incrementally added to
> > the system.
>
> Yes! Incremental is good. There may be other ways to go incremental
> besides a runit package for every daemon.

This is just the one that occurred to me.

But it seems better than translating systemd unit files into runit. :-)

> > There may still be a problem with conflict with sysvinit scripts
> > which presumaby will still be hanging around.
>
> No doubt about it.
>
> > Can sysvinit usefully
> > be complicated so as to check if there is a runit script before it
> > calls the usual init.d script?
>
> This is why I asked the question about permanently shutting down a
> sysvinit /etc/init.d/rc5.d script. If, at the same time you or a
> package fired up a runit supervisor for the daemon, the sysvinit daemon
> starter for that daemon would be shut down, it would take care of the
> problem except when somebody or something makes an error.

Sounds good. So the runit package would wrap the directory with boilerplate
packageing info, including an installation-time shutdown of the sysvinit
script.