:: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 08:48:14 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> Or make one package for each daemon's runit directory and make that
> package depend on the daemon's own package.

That's a lot of work. I'd need considerable help.

> If several daemons are together in one package one could combine
> their runit directories in on package too, but that's probably not
> necessary.

Just have all three of them active and have their run scripts do the
proper dependencies. If they need to be shut down in a certain order,
that would involve an additional shellscript.

> This way runit packages could be gradually, incrementally added to
> the system.

Yes! Incremental is good. There may be other ways to go incremental
besides a runit package for every daemon.

> There may still be a problem with conflict with sysvinit scripts
> which presumaby will still be hanging around.

No doubt about it.

> Can sysvinit usefully
> be complicated so as to check if there is a runit script before it
> calls the usual init.d script?

This is why I asked the question about permanently shutting down a
sysvinit /etc/init.d/rc5.d script. If, at the same time you or a
package fired up a runit supervisor for the daemon, the sysvinit daemon
starter for that daemon would be shut down, it would take care of the
problem except when somebody or something makes an error.

I would caution against adding features to sysvinit at this time, in my
opinion.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz