:: Re: [DNG] There is no madness to be…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: KatolaZ
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] There is no madness to begin with
On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 01:43:42AM -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

[cut]

> > So are you ready to just let go of it… and move on with whatever is
> > really important to you? Are you ready to focus on what you self can do,
> > instead of insisting to control how other people spend their time?
>

> What do you care? Really what are you doing here? You use Debian upstream.
> How can you possibly help support a systemd free OS?
>
> How can I give you a break Martin? How can you help me think you're one of
> the good guys?
> --

Dear Jimmy,

unfortunately the world is not divided into "good" vs "bad" at all
times.

It's a fact that sysvinit is currently unmaintained in Debian.

It's a fact that this can lead to sysvinit being removed from Debian,
if not addressed. This is not due to "Debian hates sysvinit", rather
to the policy of periodically removing orphaned packages.

It's a fact that some Devuan developers have offered to help with the
maintenance of sysvinit *in Debian*, since we would have to maintain
it nevertheless if it gets removed from Debian.

It's a fact that this proposal has found the favour of many Debian
developers, who publicly offered to sponsor our uploads.

It's a fact that there has been a proposal to modify the Debian policy
to remove the requirement of shipping sysvinit scripts in Debian
packages.

It's a fact that the latter proposal is not seen as a universally good
one in Debian, so at the moment such a change in policy seems unlikely
to happen.

It's a fact that several people, in Debian and outside, are working to
ensure that sysvinit does not get stripped off from Debian.

Those are the facts so far. The rest is chit-chat, and does not help
releasing packages. The hate and the rants against systemd do not help
either.

I personally value every contribution towards guaranteeing that
alternatives to systemd can survive and flourish. Martin has made an
effort to mediate the discussion with other Debian developers, and I
thank him a lot for that.

My2Cents

KatolaZ