:: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Debian Buste…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Daniel Taylor
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support
On 10/17/18 8:14 AM, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Why doesn't Devuan edit sysvinit to use systemd's unit files instead
> of scripts? That would bypass the entire problem. Those who want to
> stick to scripts can always direct sysvinit to use scripts instead. An
> edit/patch would aim to make sysvinit recognise unit files and run
> scripts when instructed to.
>
> Before I get a barrage of smart-ass replies like 'You do not
> understand', yes, I know, it is EASIER SAID than DONE. Everything
> technical is like that, unfortunately.

Well, it _is_ a non-trivial project.

The way things are going I am becoming convinced that the proper course
of attack is to reimplement all the systemd functions in the Unix
paradigm. Too many developers are embracing systemd and it's getting
harder to keep a functional Linux system without it.

Sometimes the only way out is through.

--
Daniel Taylor