:: Re: [DNG] Etherape's permissions an…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Alessandro Selli
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Etherape's permissions and Linux Capabilities
On 03/10/18 at 01:34, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> On 19/09/18 at 18:47, Alessandro Selli wrote:

>>> I agree that this should be a package default, not just here but on Debian's side too. Would you like to contact the maintainer or should I?
>>>
>>>            m712
>>   For once I'll put aside my laziness and do it myself.  ☺

>>  Thank you anyway.
>>

>> Alessandro
>   OK, Debian package maintainer Frederic Peters asked me to open a new
> bug.  It is bug #910117:

>   Bye

  They threw it out of the window:

tag #910117 + wontfix
thanks

 From: Patrick_Matthäi <pmatthaei@???>

> Am 04.10.2018 um 09:43 schrieb Laurent Bigonville:

>> My 2¢ here, but su-to-root requires the user to enter the root
>> password of the machine.
>>
>> Adding the capability to the file, will allow any user to run etherape
>> and get information about the network traffic.
>>
>> Isn't that a bigger security issue to allow this by default?
> Hi,
> yes it is and that would be a blocking bug.
> Users should do it on their own, if they think this is correct in their
> scenario. Else etherape  would be a trojan sniffer

  To me a sniffer is a program that can capture and analyze packets'
contents, which in my understanding etherape does not do, as it just
represents graphically TCP/IP connections, data that could be displayed
with ss or netstat, plus traffic volume information.

  But maybe it could, and that's the point about not installing it with
capabilities set.

  Oh well, whatever.

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>