:: Re: [devuan-dev] [Fwd] Devuan: invi…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: golinux
A: devuan developers internal list
Asunto: Re: [devuan-dev] [Fwd] Devuan: invitation to join the Debian derivatives census
On 2018-09-30 16:01, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this is simply someone in Debian recognising that they have
> holes in information about derivatives.

Really? Can't they read the website? I'm getting more sense of
"capture".

> My thoughts are that we should participate, as it will do a lot to help
> smooth things over and give credence to our concerns, and be seen to be
> cooperative with debian.

I thought we have always been cooperative with Devuan and that the lack
of cooperation was on Debian's side.

> Also by listing Devuan as an official derivative of Debian, we gain a
> big benefit in allaying the concern that we are a small team
> maintaining
> a big distribution on it's own. (I have had this discussion with some
> of my clients, who were concerned about Devuans sustainability. What
> convinced them to allow my use of Devuan for their systems was that
> most
> Debian packages are used unchanged, and where there where changes they
> are trivial changes to the Debian sources in order to remove the binary
> dependency of systemd.
>
> From what I can tell looking at the CensusQA templates, they will
> actually inform us of issues and announcements as they arise which
> would
> be very useful.

Possibly good for your business but it is good for Devuan?

> Thus I think there is nothing to lose and much to gain by participating
> in the process. It will provide us with much needed information about
> what is going on in Debian, and provide us with a better relationship
> from which we can assert the need to prevent debian maintainers from
> going out of their way to break non-systemd packages.

I'm not so sure about that. When have they ever listened to us?

> I'd be happy to take the lead in getting us listed as a derivative of
> Debian.

Well, if you want to take it on in your spare time [/sarcasm] . . .

> (This does not mean we are walking back in any way the claim to
> have forked Debian, just acknowledging Devuans heritage, and continuing
> commonality with debian.)

I think it does take us a step back. Debian would LOVE to
minimize/trivialize what we're doing. Once we're pigeon-holed as a
derivative how will we ever break through back to independence as a fork
if it comes to that? I think the derivative label would stick and
Debian might even try to require changes of how we describe ourselves
disallowing the use of "fork". In my world I "trust no one" who has
betrayed me once.

Let's discuss further at the Wed. meet.