:: Re: [DNG] Upgrade from Devuan Jessi…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Hendrik Boom
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Upgrade from Devuan Jessie to ASCII fails with SIGILL on AMD K6
On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 02:49:12PM +0100, Mark Hindley wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 01:48:01PM +0100, Mark Hindley wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been migrating a venerable headless sytem from Debian Wheezy to Devuan.
> >
> > The migration from Debian Wheezy to Devuan Jessie was fine, however upgrading to
> > Ascii has failed with Illegal Instruction faults.
>
> It seems I missed this announcement:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/05/msg00001.html

(This note explains how Debian i386 architecture is dropping 586
processors.)

No fun that. I seem not to be affected today, anyway. But I fear soon
it will no longer be practical to keep some of my old machines around
for fallback in case of trouble.

> Is there any chance Devuan might revert this?

Only with the resources to compile our own version of every binary
package.

To do it, we'd have to make two releases -- one for i586, and another
for i686 and newer. The i686 could be copied from Debian as at present.
the i586 one would have to be compiled by us.

-- hendrik