:: Re: [DNG] Better late than never
Pàgina inicial
Autor: aitor_czr
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Better late than never
Hi Jochen,

El 18/09/18 a las 07:56, J. Fahrner escribió:

> Am 2018-09-18 01:11, schrieb aitor_czr:
>

>> I uploaded the new packeges after fixing most of the bugs:
>>
>> http://gnuinos.org/simple-netaid/
>>
>> I also added the .desktop menu entry.
>>
> Is there some README about simple-netaid?

The only existent README file for now was written by Edward Bartolo, and
it-s focused to the previous version of simple-netaid, written in C and
freepascal.
So, it's a bit obsolete. However, the new version of simple-netaid also
uses ifupdown, but there is no CLI version for now (this is a work in
progress).

> What is it? Is it a replacement for wicd?

Indeed, it's an alternative for wicd without dbus, written in C/C++ and
Gtkmm-2.4.

> Can they live together, or must wicd removed? What's the difference
> between the two?

I've been testing both working together, and i've found the following
issue: the behaviour of wicd can be affected by the use of simple-netaid.
Not only because of possible failed attempts connecting or disconnecting
with wicd, but also for possible wrong information about the status of
the network connection.
In contrast, i didn' find this behaviour in the other way around; that
is, simple-netaid is not affected by the use of wicd. So, it would be
interenting to use both together in order to compare them.

BTW, i fixed another bug in the wired connections, and built the packges
for both architectures: i 386 and amd64. The packages are operative now,
but there are still some issues pending to be fixed: a
segmentation fault closing the application, the code for the hidden
active wifis, a socket sharing information between the
window_main_worker thread and the backend, and a lot of warnings during
the compilation.

> Jochen

Thanks for your interest on simple-netaid :)

Aitor.