:: [DNG] A suggestion for an easier up…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Fred DC
À: dng
Sujet: [DNG] A suggestion for an easier upgrade of a DE from ASCII to Beowulf
Because I don't know how to file a bug-report against the whole
merged/beowulf branch which presently does not allow a straight forward
migration of a DE from ASCII to Beowulf I thought, if I bring up this
subject in this list some of the Developers might have a look at it.

It is not my desire to be controversial, please don't nuke me.

I do run a Beowulf-based OS with xfce4-desktop with elogind and
lightdm and supplemented with packages which I need for my audio work
(jackd2, pulseaudio-module-jack, DWS etc). This whole set-up runs very well.

Unfortunately a desktop-environment migration from ASCII to Beowulf is a
bit clumsy and hazardous due the fact that the below listed
Buster-Packages create a dependency-problem and if not resolved
correctly will render the freshly installed Beowulf-Desktop-Environment
pretty useless.

In order to make it a lot easier to get a Beowulf-Install with 'apt-get
update' and 'apt-get upgrade' (NOT dist-upgrade), my suggestion is to
make 4 packages, because they are *pure* Debian-Buster-Packages,
invisible in the merged/beowulf branch.

Blacklist/remove in merged/beowulf  policykit-1
                                     libpolkit-agent-1-0
                                     libpolkit-backend-1-0
                    libpolkit-gobject-1-0

Assuming that it could be done without being too disruptive, I like to
think that many aspiring testers or users who are not too keen on the
backport-route could benefit from it if the Devuan-Developers would
consider this suggestion. Of course some weeding out of the truly
obsolete packages will have to be done by hand including some pinning to
preserve the migrated and essential ASCII packages till they can be
replaced by their Beowulf equivalents.

PS: I know that /merged/beowulf is not ready for a dist-upgrade but
     a DE upgrade is do-able because the ASCII packages are presently
     *fully* compatible with Beowulf!

    The link below points to a "mini mini" HowTo I wrote some time ago in
    order to demonstrate that a successful DE-Migration is do-able.

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2301

Thank you.