:: [DNG] misc bugs
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: william moss
A: Dng
Asunto: [DNG] misc bugs
First, thank you for the fork and excellent product and support. Now
retired, from past experience I am cognizant of the work involved in
what you have done and most appreciate it.

I have been running ASCII (clean install) for about 6 weeks on a core
duo 4 primary cores (effectively 8 core) Intel. Mostly works fine with
the following caveats:

The X display managers all have problems. I found wdm, which is
basically a friendlier xdm, the only reliable one. lxdm also works
(mostly). This problem was not present with the system board graphics
(Intel) but appeared with an Nvidia GT750 chip set PCiE card.

Somehow, the older library necessary for Libreoffice disappeared. The
only source I found with aptitude, was Nvidia's libraries, which also
install a great deal of other trash. I installed the libraries and then
edited the modules configuration (e.g., removed the blacklist nouveau
files). Works fine now. Speaking of Libreoffice, their shell script
assumes the location of their soft link (/usr/bin) and it will not work
from anywhere else; I also fixed that by using absolute paths in the script.

Many of the launchers for XFCE have the wrong location for the target.
For example, the launcher for gparted has the binary in /usr/local/sbin,
which is where it would install if one used a public download. The
actual location Via apt-get is /usr/sbin, an ln -s fixed this and others.

Many of the XFCE launchers use xdg-su rather then gksudo. xdg-su is an
antique which disappeared during one of my updates and cleanup. I
downloaded a copy from GIT and found that it was last updated in 2013
and is in fact an overly complex shell script that mostly is a front end
to sudo. In addition, many of the launchers use a -c option, one that
does not exist. I wrote my own Bash script to replace xdg-su rather than
editing possibly hundreds of launchers.

All of the problems are minor, at least from my perspective. The primary
systems seem to work fine. Devuan and Slackware are the only main stream
Linux alternatives to systemd inanity. Devuan, due to it being
originally based on Debian, has a greater support universe. Had you not
forked Debian, I would be back on one of the BSD's, my roots in Unix.

--
William (Bill) Moss
billmoss@???
NY (USA)
Those who will not reason, are bigots,
those who cannot, are fools,
and those who dare not, are slaves.
by Lord Byron
Justice will not be served until those who are
unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
by Benjamin Franklin
Honor, justice and humanity forbid us tamely to
surrender that freedom which we received from
our gallant ancestors and which our innocent
posterity have a right to receive from us. We
cannot endure the infamy and guilt of resigning
succeeding generations to that wretchedness which
inevitably awaits them if we basely entail
hereditary bondage on them.
by Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of the Causes and Necessities of Taking up Arms