:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Cannot install wine3…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] [OT] Cannot install wine32 on ASCII.
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 13:23:42 +1000
terryc <terryc@???> wrote:

> In my experience with "linux"(25 years), if it doesn't work, you can
> either fix it yourself(good luck)

If the "good luck" above is intended to mean you're unlikely to fix it
yourself, I disagree, assuming you use my definition of "fix". More on
this later.

> or wait until some who can
> understand what passes for the code in this ball game to fix/patch it
> and it to roll through the distros.

Many other alternatives. You can select alternative software that does
(approximately) what you need. You can make shellscripts and simple
programs to work around a problem or add a feature. You could simply
not do that thing that's difficult in Linux. You could find another
distro or BSD that does this thing right and run it in Qemu.

> In my case, I've found it far easier to just have a separate WinOS
> system running for that stuff that "linux" doesn't do well.

I have a 1998 Pentium 3 Win98 machine that I fire up every few months
to access content I made in the last century, when I used Windows. Other
than that, no. All my content after March 2001 I made in Linux. Perhaps
I had to use the inferior Dia instead of market leader Visio, but so
what?

If you keep a Windows computer to do windows stuff, you keep
introducing new Windows software and techniques to your life,
guaranteeing that you'll be using Windows forever.

I think the #1 trait one needs in order to succeed in Linux is
resilience. The acceptance that your workflow might need to change.
Some muscle memory riffs might need to change. You need to learn a
little bit of shellscripting, and a little Python will guarantee that
you can make computers do things your way.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz