:: [DNG] New here and needing help ab…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Irrwahn
To: dng
Betreff: [DNG] New here and needing help about backports
[Sorry, I accidentally hit "reply" instead of "reply list"; here's
the same message re-posted to DNG.]

Stephane Ascoet wrote on 24.07.2018 13:33:
[...]
> But now I'm stuck with a similar problem for "linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86
> 4.16.16-2~bpo9+1 [kernel - optional]"
>
> It is needed but I can't install it because when I "aptitude search
> linux-compiler" I get:
> i A linux-compiler-gcc-4.8-x86
>                                            - Compiler for Linux on x86
> (meta-package)

> i   linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86
>                                            - Compiler for Linux on x86
> (meta-package)

> When I install linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 I get:
>   ii  linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86               4.9.110-1
>         amd64

> I can't get the 4.16 one, please help!!!

Hi Stephane,

did you explicitly tell whatever apt frontend you're using to pull the
package from ascii-backports? Like e.g.:

apt-get install -t ascii-backports linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86

Re-reading your text I see you used aptitude for searching, so as an
alternative you can use its interactive mode to mark the desired package
for installation.

Background: By default the backports repositories take lower priority than
the main repositories, so you have to explicitly tell the package manager
your intent to install a backported package - unless the backported version
is already required as a dependency of an already (to be) installed package,
which will lead to the correct version being pulled right away.
If, for example, linux-headers-4.16.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 is to be installed,
then linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 should be installed automagically.

HTH, regards
Urban

--
Sapere aude!