著者: Steve Litt
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] A Devuan kernel?
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 11:06:55 +0200
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 06:06:12PM +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> >

> > On 09/07/18 17:51, KatolaZ wrote:
> > > Literally anybody can get the sources of the Linux kernel and
> > > read through it. So I guess your fears are somehow
> > > unjustified...
> >
> > There were long standing problems with openssl -- the source code
> > was fully available, anybody could have found the problems, but
> > they didn't.
> >
> > The Linux Kernel is HUGE, the possibility to find something that
> > shouldn't be there would not be very easy. Binary blobs remain the
> > most "risky" components, but anything else can easily hide in plain
> > sigh t.
> >

> Yeah, so what should we do? Stop working on Devuan and get a couple of
> years off just to check that the kernels provided in the
> already-released packages does not have any NSA backdoor?
>
> o_O

I think you just put things in perspective, KatolaZ.

Extrapolating what you just said to users, what should I do? Stop using
computers because CIA and NSA? I'd better stop using a phone too. I'd
better stop walking downtown, because they have face recognition
software downtown. I'd better stop using a credit card and leaving a
money trail.

You do your best to ensure your privacy, and don't use any technologies
that are grossly privacy stupid (Google Home, for instance), encrypt
your communications when you can. But if you're going to keep yourself
secret from a state sponsored investigative agency who wants to learn
about you specifically, you'll have to make a lot of difficult life
choices, and basically leave mainstream society. What kernel you use on
your desktop or laptop will be the least of your problems.

Starting in the late 1970's, I never said anything on the telephone I
didn't want the FBI to hear. But I didn't give up using a phone.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key