著者: Jimmy Johnson
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] A Devuan kernel?
On 07/09/2018 04:17 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 04:02:23AM -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> On 07/09/2018 03:53 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 03:42:40AM -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> [cut]

>>> Please, share some relevant links then, and let us understand what you
>>> are talking about.
>>>
>>> If you keep mentioning unspecified "kernel experts" and what they have
>>> allegedly said about the Linux kernel without providing any evidence
>>> for your claims, your posts can be easily misinterpreted by a
>>> distracted reader as FUD.
>>
>> It's simple, because they can't say any more than Linus can, you are not
>> being helpful and I will now stop replying to your unhelpful post.
>>
>> What you can do is look for malware, do some investigative research, just
>> educate yourself, what I know is out there for all to read.
>>

> So if those "kernel experts" are not saying more than Linus can say,
> how comes that you got to know what they haven't dare to say to
> anybody else? o_O
>
> I guess we should all educate ourselves in substantiating our claims
> with facts, instead of throwing stones at random.
>
> I have had the opportunity to read through several parts of the Linux
> kernel in the past, mostly related to networking, scheduling, and
> vfs. Once I had to modify the vfs layer to trasparently include
> symmetric encryption for all the supported FS. I guess it was 2.4 or
> 2.6. Another time I developed a full soft real-time stack for ad-hoc
> sensor networking (that was definitely 2.6). I also had the
> opportunity to develop several custom device drivers, back in the
> days, and even to do some reverse-engineering on a few "closed"
> drivers.

[PDF]D-Bus in the Kernel - LinuxCon 2014, Tokyo, Japan

https://events.static.linuxfound.org/sites/events/files/slides/linuxconjapan2014.pdf

GitHub - "dbus-like" code for the Linux kernel
https://github.com/gregkh/kdbus

OutlawCountry exploit - What this won't tell you is that it was created
for the CIA and first tested in Fedora, was designed to read windows
file servers. they got caught.
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3099221

Today Linux is pretty much owned by the NSA, including it's developers,
not many educated eyes out there anymore to spot and report malware.
Things have changed.

> I can't say I have examined all that stuff in detail, but I think I
> have a very rough idea of what is going on under the hood. And what I
> saw is that the Linux kernel is in general very easy to read and to
> understand. Hence my conclusion: if anything wrong was there, we would
> most probably know already.

KatolaZ, I came looking for help. Reading a linux kernel requires
knowledge of software engineering, I don't have that knowledge or
experience, even if I open kernel source I would have no idea what I was
looking at. I just want to know if dbus or any other exploit is in the
kernel. And/or can we have are own kernel?

Thanks,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Devuan Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
Registered Linux User #380263