:: Re: [DNG] A Devuan kernel?
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Jimmy Johnson
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] A Devuan kernel?
On 07/09/2018 01:53 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> On 07/09/2018 01:06 AM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>>

>> On 09/07/18 17:51, KatolaZ wrote:
>>> Literally anybody can get the sources of the Linux kernel and read
>>> through it. So I guess your fears are somehow unjustified...

Has the thought occurred to you that maybe the people that where finding
those problems are now working for the bad guys? I remember way back in
my days with windows all the good people finding problems with windows
where soon bought up by microsoft, now they are buying up linux, do you
really want to give up? Now I read even BSD is going to adopt systemd,
it's looking like the without-systemd project is the only hope to save
linux and keep it from becoming another microsoft project, I'm not
willing to stop, I will still hold a candle for freedom.

>> There were long standing problems with openssl -- the source code was
>> fully available, anybody could have found the problems, but they didn't.

Yes, ssl has been mentioned and also what they call watered down
encryption, plus wireless password encryption, I understand is useless.

>> The Linux Kernel is HUGE, the possibility to find something that
>> shouldn't be there would not be very easy.  Binary blobs remain the
>> most "risky" components, but anything else can easily hide in plain sigh
>> t.

> I'm old and trying to remember is not easy at times, I think what we
> would be looking for could be a dbus-client, also another word mentioned
> was about 3-4 letters long and the first letter was a 'k' but nothing to
> do with kde, also mentioned was to check certificate files.  This stuff
> is over my head and I yeld to the experts, but all these things are
> certainly worth checking out.  Another way to corrupt a system is via
> the firmware and has also been mentioned in my readings.

Another thought comes to me, before moving back home I was living in
Santa Cruz for 24 yrs, and active in the local PC Club and active in the
linux group, we met at UCSC, if I was still living there I don't think
it would be hard to get a group together and start looking for these
things. I suggest looking for help where ever you can find it.

Thanks,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Devuan Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
Registered Linux User #380263