:: Re: [DNG] A Devuan kernel?
Top Pagina
Auteur: Jimmy Johnson
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] A Devuan kernel?
On 07/08/2018 04:46 PM, terryc wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 15:52:48 -0700
> Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@???> wrote:
>
>> Something I haven't done but maybe a kernel source package can be
>> opened to expose what is in there? Something way over my head.
>
> I'll admit it has become complicated and it is now a while since I've
> compiled my own kernel from sources, but my suggestion is that you try
> to do so. AFAIK, you can craft your own kernel as much as you like,
> mnay times and until you actually 'install it and reboot' onto it
> there is no danger.
>
> Before you do that, increase the response time out
> on your mobo/device boot up to allow plenty of time to choose the prior
> image if there is a problem. Sadly, I'm speaking from the view point of
> desktop yumcha stuff.
>
> Last time I did it, there was a basic gui script that just folded in
> the various sections you didn't want to fiddle with.
>

>> Anybody friends with Klaus Knopper? Or has other sources for help?
>> Maybe someone from Puppy Linux?
>
> Just use the Debian kernel sources for starters. they are going to be
> the closest to Eric's eyes(?) dream.

I know people who roll kernels and they don't trust themselves to apply
a security patch. If you can roll a kernel I will test it for you on a
few different computers, how about a ASCII kernel to start? I have
systems ready and waiting to try the new kernel.

Thanks,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Devuan Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
Registered Linux User #380263