:: Re: [DNG] Home server replacement h…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: spiralofhope
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Home server replacement hardware suggestions?
CCed as I think the list is unhappy with my IP address.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:03:35 +1000
wirelessduck@??? wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get or where to look?
> Intel vs AMD?

You could get a cheap Dell laptop. Even the cheapest will be
completely overpowered as a file server.

As they have USB 3 you can use an adapter or external bay for your
drive.

They're extremely low-power, essentially have a UPS and have no need
for a fan. Don't forget an adapter for LAN if needed.

As Dell explicitly supports Ubuntu, you can likely get Devuan working
on one easily.

Boot once, use their system tools to prep a restore USB stick, then
install Devuan directly to it, overwriting everything. Use your
external dock as a separate drive independent from your system, so you
can swap it if you want to replace it and increase your drive capacity
in the future.