:: Re: [devuan-dev] pre-assessing linu…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Irrwahn
A: devuan-dev
Asunto: Re: [devuan-dev] pre-assessing linux 4.16.0-2 in ceres
KatolaZ wrote on 05.07.2018 10:30:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:29:36AM +0200, Jaromil wrote:
>>
>> dear devs
>>
>> sorry for missing the meeting last wednesday, I'll be able to attend
>> next. meanwhile here I'd like to signal a likely upcoming issue with
>> linux kernel 4.16.0-2 in ceres. my attention was catched by a warning
>> on twitter:
>>
>> Shout out to @DevuanOrg: watch out for kernel 4.16.0-2 in ceres man,
>> it'll break your life apart.
>>
>> some limited amount of research suggests changes were introduced in
>> the graphical drivers, seem the nvidia one:
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=901919
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/8t59tq/cant_boot_into_debian_from_kernel_41602amd64/
>>
>> and I wonder for the sake of saving time and hassle to our beloved
>> ceres users: is it possible to "mask out" the 4.16.0-2 package?
>
> Jaromil, stuff like that happens all the time in unstable. It will be
> fixed. People freak out because they don't understand that unstable is
> indeed *unstable*. It has been like that for decades :)

[...]

Well said. However, it should be noted that in this specific case
users who pull their kernel from ascii-backports are also affected.
Lots of fun to be had staring at a black screen after a seemingly
innocuous kernel minor version update on a stable system.

(Yes, I'm aware that packages from backports should be installed
applying almost the same level of alertness as is advisable for
unstable or testing. But still.)

Best regards
Urban
--