:: Re: [DNG] systemd and wlan0 interfa…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Jimmy Johnson
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] systemd and wlan0 interface problem
On 07/04/2018 01:25 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 12:54:28AM -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

>> It sounds like you are talking about network manager. I don't believe wicd
>> has the traits you are talking about. As for me it's handy to connect and
>> disconnect, mostly disconnect while using multimedia. I've never heard of
>> wicd doing anything wrong,
>
> [cut]
>
> That's because probably you haven't needed to use wicd for something
> more specific than "configure wlan0" :)
>
> I used wicd for several years, and I had always to swear against the
> gods of three or four religions to have it do what I wanted. The
> hardest thing was to convince wicd that I wanted a *specific* wi-fi
> connection among the several available: it kept choosing what it
> preferred, probably on the basis of "signal strength", and kept
> disconnecting and reconecting every time somebody entered the room or
> moved a chair. I had to manually disable the connections I didn't want
> to use, then manually re-enable them.

That sounds like network manager was installed at the time and not a
wicd problem, wicd gets blamed because you can see it in your tray,
while NM is in the background messing with your connection.

I may be wrong but I don't think network manager is good or helpful in
any way, causes way to many problems and confusion for the average user.

> I guess they eventually fixed that introducing priorities, but still,
> IMHO a software should do what I tell it to do, not what it likes or
> wishes...
>
> Anyway, it's mainly a matter of preference here, and luckily we have
> enough alternatives so far :)

Thanks,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Devuan Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
Registered Linux User #380263