:: Re: [DNG] installer woe
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] installer woe
Le 26/06/2018 à 05:43, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 07:25:48AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 25/06/2018 à 20:23, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
>>> I used dd to copy the installer iso to a USB stck on my old laptop:
>>>
>>> dd bs=4M if=devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_netinst.iso of=/dev/sdb status=progress && sync
>>>
>>> Then I moved the USB stick to my new Purism laptop, powered it up,
>>> pressed esacpe to get a boot menu, and the USB stick was not recognised
>>> as a boot device.
>>>
>>> Is there something that needs to be done to the ISO before putting it on
>>> the USB stick? Or is the dd command wrong? I remember that years ago
>>> it had to be modified somehow in order to boot, but I thought that had been fixed long
>>> long ago. Something like prefixing it with a recognisable boot record?
>>>
>>> Sorry for not testing this in the beta days, but I didn't have the new
>>> computer yet.
>>>
>>     It seems you did it all well. Either your BIOS does not support
>> reading an iso9660 filesystem from an USB stick, or you just need to
>> allow it to boot from USB (in the BIOS menu). BTW, sync is useless:
>> dd is a synchronous connand, AFAIK.
> It will boot the Purism installer from a USB stick if I use the same
> steps, starting wth the Purism ISO file, of course.

    Not sure what's happening then. Maybe you made a mistake. You could
just retry.

    Since usb sticks with  dozens of GB are available now, I'd suggest
you copy the full install DVD instead of the netinst. I suggest you this
also because this is what I've done with ASCII, therefore I've checked
it works.

    Using the netinst made sense for me when it was an alternative to
burning a set of CDs or a DVD; now, with big usb sticks, it is less usefull.

         Didier

PS. What I wrote about dd being synchronous seems to be just wrong,
according to the man page. I've never invoked sync after dd, and never
had any problem though, I was probably lucky, or maybe the behaviour is
special when writing to a raw block device instead of a file.