:: Re: [DNG] Xorg, choosing setuid vs…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Xorg, choosing setuid vs. libpam-elogind and rant about security (was: Re: Jessie -> Ascii upgrade breaks X)
On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 11:15:18AM -0500, Peter Vachuska wrote:
> I really wish I had paid more attention to this thread and others warning about the changes to X before attempting to upgrade to ascii. My preferred way of working is out of a console running byobu and GNU screen and starting X only when needed. This no longer works as both screen and X use virtual terminals and instead of X starting on F7-F9, it is on F1; so that the console terminal is unusable. So after hours of frustration yesterday trying to get ascii working, I gave up and today reinstalled jessie only to find that xserver-xorg-legacy had been removed from the available packages; so I had the same problem. I had been using Devuan jessie for months and was very happy with it. (I should remember not to try to fix things that are not broke.) Fortunately, I had an old Debian wheezy installation which I'm now using.
>
> While any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm mostly just venting frustration. I know that my setup is atypical and console users won't influence the direction of X. Still....

Dear Peter,

please have a look at the ASCII Release Notes:

https://files.devuan.org/devuan_ascii/Release_notes.txt

which provide an explanation of the whole X.org matter and of the
solutions available in Devuan ASCII. I understand the frustration, but
the best way to get out of it is to do something to solve the
problem. Whatever you can.

Devuan has proven that we are all potential Devuan developers. This is
exactly what happened with elogind, just to make an example. It was
pushed into reality within a couple of months by the stubborness and
committment of a few fellow devuaner. Each of them put what they had
(knowledge, time, patience, attention to detail, etc.), and the result
is that we all can choose among more DE alternatives in Devuan ASCII.

Devuan is really what we want it to become.

HH

KatolaZ