:: [DNG] wicd interferes with regular …
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Joel Roth
To: dng
Oggetto: [DNG] wicd interferes with regular network admin tools
Hi Devuan network users and adminstrators,

I was recently suprised to observe network interfaces
(wlan0 and eth0) going up without my issuing commands for
it. I'd disable an interface, then see it go right back up.

I somehow guessed that the culprit might be wicd, and
confirmed that a wicd process was active. I never
ran any of the wicd admin tools.

The list of wicd features does not mention that it
interferes with managing networks using net-tools or
iproute2 commands.

Is this a bug, or a documentation bug? Certainly, the
behavior is less-than-awesome. If one wants to learn about
networking on linux, or to administer a system using
conventional command-line tools, one should know that wicd
needs to be removed.

Do net-tools and iproute2 need to warn against wicd?
Should wicd warn that it disrupts administration via net-tools?

I wonder if there is any parallel in how in linux we
administer /etc/resolv.conf.

Do you have any thoughts about clarifying how to expect the
networking environment to work under linux?

regards,

--
Joel Roth