:: Re: [DNG] printing in a D-Bus free …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Joel Roth
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] printing in a D-Bus free system
On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 09:29:08AM +0100, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> Am 14. März 2018 08:45:00 MEZ schrieb Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@???>:
> >
> > "Cannot even print"? You make it sound as if printing were a simple task.
>

> Printing /is/ a relatively simple task: You create a bitmap from your document (or four im case of color printing) and send it to the printer. Many printers (like my Oki B430dn) even accept ftp upload of correctly resolved bitmaps.

I beg to differ. There is a lot of complexity to manage.
Which paper tray are you printing to, orientation,
adminstering the print queue. Writing portable code
supporting thousands of printers including protocols and
error recovery is not a simple task.

That's one of the reasons you don't see new competitors
appearing in this problem space.

However, to answer about D-Bus free printing. There are
still the historic tools around. lprng, possibly configured
with magicfilter to handle the various input fileformats.

Cups was sponsored by Apple, and has been popular
for to its admin interface (via web browser on linux)
and its comprehensive support of printers.

Certainly cups uses D-Bus to do all its desktop
notifications, and it makes sense that cups supports
these notifications.

If you don't like what they did, the code is available to
you to alter to your liking, or just try lprng.

cheers

--
Joel Roth