:: Re: [DNG] printing in a D-Bus free …
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Arnt Gulbrandsen
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] printing in a D-Bus free system
Didier Kryn writes:
>     Do you remember any of these comics where the driver of a
> car opens the motor to repair, throws away a bunch of parts, and
> then the engine starts again and the guy goes away with the car?
> Here we are with Linux. The BIG piece to remove was systemd, but
> there are quite a few others... follow my eyes.

Be careful that you don't end up one of those backseat drivers who explain
afterwards that implementing this or that should've been simple because
obviously blah blah. Those people are terribly annoying to developers
who've spent weeks or months battling tricky issues, trying to make the
code work in many cases, for many users.

Some things not mentioned today: Problems because rendering whole pages to
bitmaps on the client needs so much RAM that the UI grows unresponsive,
other problems if the client renders the pages in sequence to save RAM and
the user closes the laptop once the first page starts printing, yet other
problems if the printer runs out of RAM while rendering the current page
because it's allocated too much RAM to buffering giant subsequent pages,
yet other problems if the printer driver avoids using bitmaps and the
printer firmware misrenders an embedded font.

It's $%@#$!@#$!@# annoying when people come afterwards and explain how
simple a task is, and clearly have no idea about the complexities and
problems.

Maybe d-bus is a poor fit for hplip. I don't know and I suspect you don't
either.

Arnt