:: Re: [DNG] printing in a D-Bus free …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] printing in a D-Bus free system
Le 14/03/2018 à 11:29, Florian Zieboll a écrit :
> Hallo Didier,
>
> just to avoid confusion: this was not my point, but Menelaos Maglis's. I just tried to figure out that the basics of printing (like most things in computong) are a quite simple thing: pushing ones and zeroes.
>
> Besides that: Of course, in bandwidth-limited environments, it is more effective to send some (K)B of vectors over the network, than a >15MB bitmap (letter@only1200dpi) to print the usually quite empty page 2 of some essay and let the printer do the rendering.
>
> I guess that's part of why we are here: To restore the original meaning of "economical":-)

    I think we all agree there.

    Do you remember any of these comics where the driver of a car opens
the motor to repair, throws away a bunch of parts, and then the engine
starts again and the guy goes away with the car? Here we are with Linux.
The BIG piece to remove was systemd, but there are quite a few others...
follow my eyes.

    There are alternatives to communicating through dbus. If two
processes are necessary, a socket or a pipe can do it. If more
structured communication is necessary and you don't need two processes
(why would you in this case), other famous applications use a kind of
dynamically linked libraries (plugins).

    Didier