:: Re: [DNG] The FSF seems to have fin…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Daniel Abrecht
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] The FSF seems to have finally sold out

On 2018-03-08 16:34, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/ > > 155.26% funded > 4,339 backers > $2,328,966 raised of the

$1,500,000 goal.
I'm one of the backers. I pre-ordered the phone and the dev-kit. I think
what they are doing is truly amazing and important. They have created
good hardware, cooperate with the FSF and the OSS Comunity in every way
possible, and do their best to keep their products as libre as they can.

But most importantly, they are creating a real linux phone!

I've seen the other so called linux phones. I've had an Ubuntu Phone. I
was really hyped up when I got the Ubuntu one, but I was really letdown
by them soon. It used regular Android drivers, their Mir supported
gralloc, but X nor Wayland did. It wasn't possible to install another
distro. It wasn't even possible to use apt, because they choose to (OTA)
update the phones with tar archives!!! It's the same with other linux
phones. They don't build their own phones, they use gralloc, and they
can't run other distros.

But the purism librem 5 will be different. I believe this will finally
be the phone I was waiting for. One, where I can install my distribution
of choice, devuan. One, where I am in control what's installed on it and
what it does. One, which I will even be able to completely replace my PC
with. This is something no one else could or wanted give me.

Purism is yet another step in the right direction. With all the things
that go wrong in this world, I will do everything I can to make things
better.