:: Re: [DNG] elogind testing for exper…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: KatolaZ
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] elogind testing for experimental and ascii-proposed
On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 06:03:59PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:

[cut]

>     I think the concept of session is still usefull in the framework of a
> Desktop Environment. When you log into that kind of environment, you have a
> few services associated to it which make your life easier, like monitoring
> removable devices, battery or wifi status. It is also easier for dummies to
> login through a display manager.

Hi Didier,

if I understand it correctly, it seems that elogind + consolekit2 +
upower + udisks + other pieces of black magic already allow to mount
removable devices, monitor battery, suspend the system, and so on, in
several DE configurations.

I personally don't get all the intricacies of this hairball of
protocols and interdependencies, but I am *very* *happy* that it
somehow works, nevertheless.

For a layman like me this means that we can consider having stuff like
KDE as a working install-time desktop option in Devuan. Maybe not
immediately, but surely in the near future.

Do I care about DEs? Not at all. Do I care about having as many
working DEs options in Devuan as physically possible? Oh yes man, I
damn do...

>     But wether that session is local or not is, in my opinion, and as I
> already said, futile; and it seems to be mostly used as a justification to
> develop a tangle of daemons and middleware to bypass the traditional unix
> security framework.

This is where I get totally lost with sessions: why on Earth should I
be able to mount an external device on a remote host to which I login
via SSH? Or unable to do that, if I am a regular user of that machine?
What is the use case for this madness? Does it really solve a problem,
or is just the usual non-working and useless solution to a problem
that doesn't even exist?

I am sure I must be missing something here...

HND

KatolaZ