:: Re: [DNG] Suspend
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Adam Borowski
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Suspend
On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:06:34PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 12:17:46AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> >
> > And, in the recent KPTI (Meltdown, Spectre) massive workfest, I recall just
> > a single remark about 32-bit x86, which pretty much said that there are no
> > fixes for these issues, and mitigating them is not on anyone's priority.
> > (Someone brought by some old Red Hat's 4G/4G patchset, but it wouldn't be
> > enough even if forward-ported.)
>
> Do any 32-bit machines do speculative execution?

On x86? The almost-true rule is: if you can run Stretch/Ascii on it, it's
speculative. Exceptions are first-generation Atoms, and possibly some
obscure non-Intel/AMD manufacturers. P5 was in-order, but Jessie is the
last release supporting it.

I'm not well-versed in CPU zoology, but I believe neither Quark nor Knights
Ferry support any general-purpose OS.

On the other hand, the Pinebook currently sitting on my desk is 64-bit yet
doesn't do speculation. Not x86, though.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Imagine there are bandits in your house, your kid is bleeding out,