:: Re: [DNG] Backup plans: was Which i…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Michael Siegel
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Backup plans: was Which is free, which is open source, et al.
Am 13.01.2018 um 18:02 schrieb Steve Litt:

[snip]

> * OpenBSD now has hardware assisted virtual machines and is a great
> and stable "Linux".

sed 's/Linux/Unix-like OS/'

Also, there's a considerable (non-technical) difference between what
GNU+Linux distributions like Devuan on the one side and OpenBSD on the
other consider free software. Linux is being released under the terms of
the GPLv2, OpenBSD isn't. In fact, OpenBSD is anti-GPL:

"The GNU Public License and licenses modeled on it impose the
restriction that source code must be distributed or made available for
all works that are derivatives of the GNU copyrighted code.

While this may superficially look like a noble strategy, it is a
condition that is typically unacceptable for commercial use of software.
So in practice, it usually ends up hindering free sharing and reuse of
code and ideas rather than encouraging it. As a consequence, no
additional software bound by the GPL terms will be considered for
inclusion into the OpenBSD base system.

For historical reasons, the OpenBSD base system still includes the
following GPL-licensed components: the GNU compiler collection (GCC)
with supporting binutils and libraries, GNU CVS, GNU texinfo, the
mkhybrid file system creation tool, and the readline library.
Replacement by equivalent, more freely licensed tools is a long-term
desideratum."

(https://www.openbsd.org/policy.html)

> * I've heard that there are now sans-systemD versions of Arch. Given
> that once upon a time Arch prided itself as being very close to the
> metal, a sans-systemD Arch would be a wonderful machine.
>
> For the Devuan user, these are definitely *plan Bs*. Only two aren't
> rolling releases, and one of those doesn't even use the Linux
> kernel. I've tried them all, and I think all of them are "more
> difficult" than Devuan. Funtoo is a serious time committment: Source
> compilation isn't instant.

Apparently, the canonical list of F/OSS operating systems without
SystemD is at:
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Free_and_Open-Source_.28FOSS.29_operating_systemswithout_systemd_in_the_default_installation

[snip]

Best,