:: Re: [DNG] Which is free, which is o…
Página Principal
Autor: KatolaZ
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Which is free, which is open source, et al.
On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:18:00AM +0000, William C Vaughan wrote:

[cut]

> From the perspective of a retired programmer/analyst, now dilletante, you
> Dejuan folks are on the precipice of success. See the forest over the
> trees, get your message out as an upstream solution to Linux in the
> enterprise - from servers to employee desktop/laptop solutions, there is no
> reason that systemd-free Linux alternatives can’t supplant the Red Hat,
> etc., cabal. They have MONEY, and that buys them exposure. My former
> employer, a major university, has bought Red Hat support hook, line, and
> sinker. You guys aren’t even on the radar. I only am aware of your
> position and offerings as an old fart hobbyist with time to explore. I wish
> you well. How can you compete with the power that is money that propagates
> Red Hat, Canonical, et al? That’s your main dilima right now, perhaps on
> the threshold of eclipsing your system development tasks.

Sun Microsystems had a huge lot of money back in the late 90s. They
desperately wanted total domination over the entry and mid-level
server segment. They also had a lot of exposure and a respected
legacy. They were perfectly placed in that market. Nevertheless, they
lost badly (hook, line, and sinker) to GNU/Linux, an unknown operating
system developed by hundreds of hobbists, that was not on the radar of
any serious player at that time, and didn't want to be there at all.

Devuan is not Linux, and RedHat is not Sun Microsystems, but we'll see
how it goes. According to some professionals and experts in the field,
Devuan should not even exist. Nevertheless, a lot of users are having
a lot of fun with Devuan, and a lot of professionals are building
their businesses on Devuan. This is something that nobody would have
bet a dime on some three years ago.

Money is not everything, after all. There is indeed not enough money
around to buy commitment, passion, and freedom ;)

HND

KatolaZ