:: Re: [DNG] Request file system revie…
Página Inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Request file system reviews and recomendations.
Le 27/12/2017 à 01:05, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> As I understand it, there are a few new file systems somewhat
> available on Linux -- ZFS, XFS, and Btrfs.

    I switched from ext2 to Reiserfs many years ago, when Reiser was
the first and only journalled filesystem. After that switch I have never
lost a file, while, before, I had lost full filesystems. I stick to the
old reiserfs; I don't trust the new one.

    I'm reluctant to use ext3/ext4 because I don't understand why they
still have this strange lost+found directory, which signs a kind of
weakness.

    I have tried btrfs; it still runs on a few servers I have
installed. I'm reluctant to continue with it because it is too tied to
RedHat/Systemd and does too many things for my taste, RAID, compression,
etc... I prefer to use mdadm for RAID - different tools for different
tasks. I have stopped LVM long ago because I found it added a layer for
almost no benefit.

    From reading this thread, I learned that ZFS has severe hardware
requirements; therefore I'm also reluctant. Don't really know about XFS.

     I partially agree whith what has been said about RAID: it is
essentially meant to ensure high availability. It doesn't provides all
we expect from  backup: it does not protect against human errors or
malevolent actions; yet it is a protection against the consequences of
disk failure.

    Didier