:: Re: [DNG] Debian Devs using OSx? wa…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Debian Devs using OSx? was Devuan in the German Wikipedia
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 10:30:40AM +0000, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> katolaz@??? writes:
> >Yes, I see. It's not that macbooks are preferred by developers. It's
> >more like they are forced onto them by the marketing departments of
> >their companies, who must ensure that their employees' laptops shine
> >at least as much as their competitors'.....and then we gasp at seeing
> >how much shit we have to shovel off our front gardens.....
>
> I don't know... I don't think any of my friends or past co-workers were
> forced. Free choice has been the norm where I've been, "any laptop offered
> by our usual supplier".
>
> Macbooks aren't that bad. Remember how difficult it can be to get linux
> drivers for everything, and what a struggle suspend/resume often is. After
> an evening of installation that nokia still doesn't sleep (which worked with
> ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04). I haven't brought that up on the list since devuan
> seems so server-focused. But let's not have any illusions: Macbooks have
> market share and it would be strange if it were zero among debian
> developers.

So, if everybody switch to macbooks, we don't need to struggle any
more to make things work on Linux, right? Well, although perfetcly
legit from a formal point of view, I can't really see anything good
for Linux coming from this attitude, tbh.

What's your problem with suspend in your laptop? You know, nobody will
try to help you if they don't know that you have a problem. I don't
see where your assumption about Devuan being "server-focused" comes
from. If it was not for the sustained effort to allow normal desktop
users to use Devuan for their daily productivity, Devuan could have
released Jessie in 2015, ASCII about one year ago, and maybe be almost
ready to release Beowulf in a few weeks.

Dropping desktop users altogether might have been the most sensible
thing to do for Devuan from a "commercial" perspective. Actually, most
of the Devuan developers could be just as much productive using one of
the *BSDs, rather than working to fix the breakage caused by addicted
macbookkers who want to port "good mac technologies" to Linux. But you
know, being part of a community is about *sharing* *and* *caring*, not
just about making suspend work on your own laptop...

> A quick search found
> https://www.geekwire.com/2016/mac-overtakes-linux-as-developers-primary-os-windows-headed-below-50-market-share/

By looking at the second graph in that page, the one about the "most
popular technology", I perfectly understand why macbooks are very
popular among those developers.

HND

KatolaZ