:: Re: [DNG] Debian Devs using OSx? wa…
Página Inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Debian Devs using OSx? was Devuan in the German Wikipedia
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:52:10 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 20/12/2017 à 00:45, Nate Bargmann a écrit :

> > Perhaps not DDs explicitly, but there are videos out there at
> > *Linux* conferences where some developer opens their Mac laptop and
> > proceeds to switch to the VM running $LINUX_DISTRIBUTION (probably
> > Red Hat).
> >
> > There were plenty of blog posts years ago from "Linux" devs in love
> > with their Macbook. It was a rather embarrassing thing to observe.
> >

>     That explains the fascination of Gnome developpers for shiny
> features and their will to reduce user's freedom about themes. People
> with Macs seem to enjoy very much Knotes and its shiny transitions
> between slides. I'm on Linux because I like to understand what's in
> my computer and tweak it myself.
>
>     I remember a pretty good Russian engineer who developped
> software for a Linux infrastructure but definitely preferred Windows
> for his own daily use and even to interface with the Linux systems.
> And this was not a fascination for shiny things. He was developping
> for Linux only becaus he was paid for that.
>
>     But when all Linux developpers in a conference are using a Mac,
> it tells something about what Linux is for them:  for the idiot
> users, an OS made for them, and, for themselves, just a job. It's a
> problem that the future of Linux be in their hands.

Didier,

What you've said above is a truth that transcends Devuan or Debian or
systemD. It's something I really hadn't thought of, even on those
occasions when I said "Follow the money."

When I got into Linux in 1998, and probably for the next three years,
Linux was supported primarily by a grassroots effort of those whose
dream was a great, Libre, operating system with kernel. So much
progress was made in those days. We were all so proud in those days.
Linux User Groups were standing room only back then.

Now it seems like LUG meeting attendees view Linux as part of their
job, or else as an OS they don't need to pay a couple hundred bucks for.

Remember when the explanation for somebody creating a new feature was
to "scratch an itch?" How long since you've heard that explanation?

I'm proud to know everyone at Devuan. It's tough to have a day job and
still produce quality software that actually addresses what people
need, but you guys are still doing it. Thank you!

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive