:: Re: [DNG] Debian Devs using OSx? wa…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Adam Borowski
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Debian Devs using OSx? was Devuan in the German Wikipedia
On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:11:24PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 02:17:00PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > > Is there evidence somewhere that Debian DDs use OS/x?
> >
> > I have no evidence, but it's not implausible if developing
> > Debian is their job.
>
> For people working on server or web crap, that's reasonable (besides the
> unreasonability of using OS X in general): a good part of server Debian
> users connect from Windows or Fruits, developers doing so wouldn't make me
> bat an eye. Note that they _do_ use what they produce.
>
> For arm stuff, unplausible as even for cross toolchains, everything is
> heavily married to Linux hosts.
>
> For client and GUI stuff, it'd be newsworthy. If you don't even use your
> own product, you're bound to produce utter unusable crap. See: Miguel de
> Icaza.

Just so my point is not understood as generic Gnome bashing:

Recently, I've talked with a doctor's assistant, who complained about
downsides of software she had to use (for entering patients' data, etc).
It was obvious to me that anyone even bothering to try basic functionality
would notice that the software is uncomfortable to use -- likewise,
listening to the users' complaints would also identify those flaws. Yet
whoever made that system was not only paid by a check list, but also had no
heed at all to user feedback.

Or, a car analogy: if you're an engineer designing a car's interior, not
using the car in question means you'll miss even trivially noticeable
usability flaws.

While a programmer is not going to sit filing things for a doctor, authors
of a desktop environment don't have this excuse.

Just a single example: the vast majority of current users of Linux desktops
do technical work (even if just as web developers), this usually goes from
command line. Thus, the top used functionality is "start a terminal". Now,
see how many steps do you need to do so in Gnome (someone please correct me
if there's a faster way I missed). On the other way, it's a single click in
XFCE, a special-cased top-level menu entry in Gnustep and Unity, etc.

Meow!
--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets. Instead, contact the nearest temple