:: Re: [DNG] Interface names changed a…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Interface names changed after eudev installation
Le 14/12/2017 à 17:47, Jaromil a écrit :
> hi Harald,
>
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, Harald Arnesen wrote:
>
>> Steve Litt [2017-12-13 20:59]:
>>
>>> Although this new namescheme is cheerleadered by systemd fanboiz
>>> FreeDesktop.Org, many sans-systemd distros have adopted the new device
>>> naming scheme. I've lived with it for a few years, and it's really not
>>> that terribly bad.
>> That's your opinion. I think it's terribly bad.
> I think I can speak for most if not all developers active behind
> Devuan right now that this is also terribly bad for all of us. Devuan
> should do everything possible so that devices do not change names
> arbitrarily and in any case without the consent of administrators.
>
> While the report starting this thread is not yet verified (and hard to
> replicate due to lack of information) we do have a currently known and
> bad condition in Devuan: if the network device will change on the same
> installation, its suffix number will be increased (wlan0 -> wlan1 ->
> wlan2) I think this is also terrible especially on systems that have a
> single network device which has been simply substituted. I wonder if
> anyone has more insights about this.

    There was a long discussion about this on this list and I think the
general conclusion is that there are different cases and no universally
satisfactory policy.

    When there are several NICs, the current renaming makes sense and
the admin should be skilled enough to hack the eudev rules. When there
is only one, it is clearly simpler to not rename. For Wifi, the case
with several interfaces is marginal but might be treated the same way.

    I have suggested the question be asked at install time or when
running dpkg-reconfigure on the relevant package (eudev?). Dunno how
difficult it is.

    Didier