:: Re: [DNG] Interface names changed a…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Interface names changed after eudev installation
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 00:42:22 +0800
Yevgeny Kosarzhevsky <phaoost@???> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have run upgrade recently and got eudev installed.
> After reboot I've got some weird names of interfaces: wlp4s0 and
> wwp0s20f0u3i12 instead of wlan0 and wwan0.
>
> How to change them back to normal?

Hi Yevgeny,

In my personal opinion, these "new device names" aren't necessarily a
bad thing. They take the randomness out of device names when both
devices are identical hardware.

Also, it's very easy to make a shellscript to convert these names into
old-style names: Somewhere in the DNG archives you'll find such a
shellscript in an email from me.

Although this new namescheme is cheerleadered by systemd fanboiz
FreeDesktop.Org, many sans-systemd distros have adopted the new device
naming scheme. I've lived with it for a few years, and it's really not
that terribly bad.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive