著者: Steve Litt
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] URL - The importance of Devuan
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 09:11:57 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 11/12/2017 à 11:48, KatolaZ a écrit :
> > Related:
> >
> >    https://linux.slashdot.org/story/17/12/11/0049245/does-systemd-makes-linux-complex-error-prone-and-unstable

>     Interesting: one of the comments almost suggests that Emacs
> might be used as an init system :-))

While we're on the subject of systemd and Emacs, some people use the
existence of Emacs as a justification for systemd. This is a false
equivalence. For the equivalence to be true, Emacs would need to:

1) Install in a way that made use of Vim, and many other programs,
impossible

2) Influence lots of other projects not to run without Emacs installed,
so that to install those projects, you'd need to install Emacs and
therefore never be able to use Vim or many other programs.

You know it's funny. In 2013 I banished all KDE programs and libraries
from all my computers, permanently. I did this for the same technical
reason as systemd: monolithic entanglement. Yet I spend little time
criticizing KDE. KDE's no threat to me: I'm free not to use it. On any
distro. The fact that I have a choice is the crucial distinction.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive