:: Re: [DNG] eudev or vdev?
Pàgina inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] eudev or vdev?
On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 11:11:36AM +0000, Olav Selseng Vestreim wrote:

[cut]

> > eudev is basically udev, forked by Gentoo from the systemd source tree
> >
> > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eudev
> >
> > vdev is a separate device manager, written by Jude Nelson:
> >
> > https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev
> >
> > eudev is actively maintained by the Gentoo folks. vdev seems to not
> > have been given much love lately, but apparently it works fine in many
> > Devuan installations.
> >
> > It is not unreasonable to assume that eudev might be the default
> > device manager in ascii, thanks to the work of parazyd, Svante, and
> > some others.
> >
> > My2Cents
> >
> > KatolaZ
>

> What about Mdev? I understand it has its limitations in DE environments, but
> could that one be developed into a viable solution?

It is possible to use mdev (or even smdev, the suckless version:
https://core.suckless.org/smdev) if you don't need icons popping up
when you stick in any random USB-thing. It is also possible to use the
old MAKEDEV. It is just a matter of expectations.

When you put together a distro you are not the only use case to take
into account ;)

HND

KatolaZ