:: Re: [devuan-dev] New patches for eu…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: KatolaZ
A: devuan-dev
Asunto: Re: [devuan-dev] New patches for eudev (3.2.2-8+devuan2)
On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 07:38:23PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:

[cut]

> The idea with naming the package 3.2.2-8+devuan2 was to indicate that it is a
> package aimed for ASCII. Note, I did not add an Y in the naming. Maybe a simpler
> naming would be 3.2.2-8+d2?
>
> In my opinion it is nice to know which distribution a package is aimed for.
> However, I'll do the renaming as we decide on.
>
> What about the native package udev? Currently it is 3.2.2+devuan2.10. Note that
> Debian don't like a -<version> added to a native package.

There is no particular reason to indicate the release to which a
package belongs by incluing it in the version (are you suggesting that
we should have +devuanX.Y in all packages then?).

It is quite the opposite: a release is made of all the packages that
are released in it, so it did not exist when those packages were
built, and its name or number cannot be put in the version name of
those packages (it did not exist when those packages were built) :)

The case of Devuan jessie and ascii packages is a bit different, since
they don't follow the usual unstable/testing/stable workflow. In that
workflow (which we should be hopefully able to implement again
starting with Beowulf), a package does not even know whether it will
make it into a release at all when it's built. Packages are built for
unstable, then maybe percolate to testing, and are often superseeded
by newer versions of the same package until testing becomes
stable. Many of the packages that transit in unstable and testing will
never belong to any stable release, at all. So there is no point into
attaching a release name/version to them.

My2Cents

KatolaZ