Til: devuan developers internal list
Emne: Re: [devuan-dev] Fwd: [DNG] [ANNOUNCE] Devuan Docker Base Images available
Hi Jaromil & other devuan-dev subscribers,

Jaromil writes:

> dear Olaf,
>
> many thanks for your contribution! I intended to look into this myself
> again (tried once, with a limited amount of time at hand) wanting to
> find out why docker doesn't runs well on devuan to easily and image
> from a running instance. I recall there was a problem mostly due to
> identifiers that confuse the docker process when it expects the
> 'debian' string, or so.

FWIW, I use the docker-ce package provided by

deb https://download.docker.com/linux/debian jessie edge

locally on my Devuan Jessie. For ASCII, I just s/jessie/stretch/. So
far, that seems to be working just fine but it would be nice to have a
native docker-ce package for Devuan.

# Hmm, why don't I take a look at how Docker Inc. builds its binaries
# and try running that on Devuan ... new pet project ?!?

> we can be very happy that there are rolling images of Devuan's stable,
> testing and unstable releases on your repository! and I believe we
> should recommend them specifying they are provided by you.

By all means, advertise the images. I fully understand that Devuan does
not want to take any responsibility for my "doodles" and I never meant
to imply in any way that my images were "Devuan endorsed" or anything.

> some questions:
>
> do you imagine maintaining these releases for long in the future?

For the foreseeable future at least, yes. So it depends on your
definition of "long" and my definition of "foreseeable" ;-)

Kidding aside, I do plan to maintain this for a decent while (a year or
two if you insist on a cold, hard number) and address issues as soon as
my spare time permits.

> whenever we find the time, would you like to sync up and help
> understand how to include build scripts into the vm-sdk?

If vm-sdk is the preferred way to build Docker images (which aren't VMs,
BTW), sure, why not?

> or you prefer to maintain a version yourself, sign it with your keys?

That'd be fine too but it would be better for everyone if Docker images
were team maintained. Either as a separate project or under the
umbrella of vm-sdk.

> after some testing and peer reviews here I can also imagine we'll ask
> you if you like to be listed among Devuan's developers maintaining an
> "official" release, but for that I tend to prefer we build the docker
> images on our infrastructure.

Actually, I'd be honoured :-)

I fully understand you'd want official releases/images/packages built on
your own infra-structure. The easiest(?) and quickest(?) way to achieve
that is moving my GitLab.com project to Devuan's GitLab instance but
that instance is woefully behind the times (at 8.17.8), if you ask me,
so I have some concerns about CI and scheduled jobs not working.

> meanwhile, testing should also imply checking the hashes of the
> binaries included against a freshly built Devuan image something for
> which I wonder if scripts are already available.

Not sure what you mean by that but current image builds import the
Devuan repository key before the Debian->Devuan migration step. Once
migrated, it uses Devuan's debootstrap (on Jessie) with the default
repositories to build the jessie, ascii and ceres versions.

I guess I should add some more documentation on how the build does its
thing.

> at last, as I see you were already intentioned to announce this, I'll
> make sure it circulates across all Devuan's media channels.

Thanks.

For the time being I'll just continue the maintenance of my GitLab.com
project for these Docker images. If any of you have suggestions or run
into bugs, please submit an issue[1] and I'll look at it in due course.

[1]: https://gitlab.com/paddy-hack/devuan/issues

BTW, if anyone want to join that project, just let me know.

Hope this helps,