:: Re: [DNG] I'm not part of the Debia…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] I'm not part of the Debian project
On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 20:24:41 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

[snip the thank-you for originating VimOutliner and noting that I'm no
longer involved in the project]

> During that period, it would have been a fine and good thing (if you
> felt like it) for you to produce a .deb and publish it at an
> apt-compatible repo URL.

I don't know how to do the preceding, and I'm forever prioritizing
other things above learning it.

[snip enumeration of the advantages of installing via the package
manager over installing via source tarball]

> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/weatherwax.html#1

Hard to argue with most of the preceding.

> As you know, Steve, I am an avid and appreciative reader of your
> technical articles -- but one of the things you frequently urge on
> readers that I feel is misguided is (IMO) urging immediate resort to
> upstream tarballs in cases where this is _not_ necessary and not the
> best choice.

I recognize what you say, freely admit that your viewpoint is a
majority viewpoint for informed Linux users. But at a gut level, I've
never been able to believe it. Sure, 99% of my software is
package-installed and I like it that way, but for certain software
that's very important to me, if I don't like the way the package does
it, it's off to ./configure;make;make install. I regularly do this for
LyX, Bluefish, Sigil, and all the process supervisors.

As a result of my attitude/belief/mindset, I've never learned that much
about package managers and especially creating packages. Which is why I
asked for a APT knowledgeable partner to make the runit (or runit-init
if you prefer) package.

> (To phrase my specific point about VimOutliner a different way, you do
> the free-software world a notable favour by maintaining VimOutliner,
> and the correct comment first and foremost is 'Thank you', so: Thank
> you. If you felt like helping people even more, helping them better,
> and helping more people, taking that small extra step using debhelper
> to create a package would also be cool.)

Cool as hell, but I'm the wrong guy for the job of package-making. The
same as you would never, never, NEVER depend on me for aesthetics:
that's golinux' job.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2017 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21