:: Re: [DNG] Runit for Devuan: was Deb…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Rick Moen
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Runit for Devuan: was Debian testing drop redis
Quoting John Hughes (john@???):

Just a note to say you strike me as saying useful and constructive
things, for which my thanks. I wish some other good and valued folks,
bless them one and all, were a bit less quick to pick a fight. There
are much more interesting things to discuss.

[snippity snip of your useful s6 comments]

> You don't have to make a runit package for Debian/Devuan --  it
> exists already.
>
> What is missing is the runit-init package, i.e. runit as pid 1,
> which was removed as nobody had the time to fix bug 861536.

This is something that's had previous discussion here, FWIW.

> I guess Devuan could just live with the bug, or declare it fixed by
> documenting it.
>
> Or someone who was interested could fix it and get runit-init back
> into Debian (and, therefore) Devuan.

A third (additional) alternative has been mentioned in prior
discussions: A variety of other inits can, instead, fill the PID1
role. Even SysVInit's PID1 process doesn't have (IMO) a lot wrong with
it. Its deficiencies primarily lie in the init system.

I'll also note in passing that Debian bug 861536 in no way prevents use
of runit's codebase as PID 1. (See comment #89 on that bug.) It merely
prevents doing so solely using package operations using the runit-init
_package_.

One might say: That is more than nothing, but far less than everything.
Which is to say: For people of even modest sysadmin abilities, the
problem is small beer indeed. (But sure, fixing the runit-init package
would be a nice-to-have.)

(I do not speak for Devuan, Debian, or any other distribution in the
foregoing. On a good day, I speak for my grumpy orange cat, but not
when she's in a particular mood.)