:: Re: [DNG] systemd-udevd: renamed ne…
Top Pagina
Auteur: J. Fahrner
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] systemd-udevd: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
Hi Didier,

Am 2017-10-06 18:36, schrieb Didier Kryn:
>     If you aren't satisfied witht the current numbering of your
> interfaces, there is a simple way to change the numbering:
>     find the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net-rules. You will
> see there is a line per known interface, containing notably its MAC
> address (eg ATTR{address}=="e8:de:27:a8:14:e1") and the name it will
> be given (eg NAME="eth0"). You can change the names and/or the MAC
> addresses, but take care that a name or a MAC address doesn't appear
> twice.

Thanks for that explanation. That explains my problems. My Thinkpad was
replaced during repair and I installed my hard drive in the new device.
The logic you described breaks some things, because of new MAC addresses
the devices got new names.

That's a perfect example why renaming devices (to make them "stable") is
not a good idea. Most consumer devices have not more than one ethernet
card and one wireless card. So naming was already "stable". The new
logic makes them unstable when you have to change devices on repair. But
that's typical "behaviour" of systemd devs. :-(

If someone with more than one ethernet/wireless device needs stability,
he can add udev rules manually. This should never be automatic!

Jochen