:: Re: [DNG] Devuan, Firefox and Apuls…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Miroslav Rovis
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Devuan, Firefox and Apulse
On 170920-21:21+0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:47:05AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting Adam Borowski (kilobyte@???):

> > > You don't want that pile of spyware, it lacks any basic privacy extensions
> > > Firefox has.

+1

> > At _least_ try Chromium before adopting a proprietary browser (Chrome).

> Obviously, I'm not going to install such a massive backdoor on any
> non-contained machine. [...]

> But, chromium as in Debian/Devuan is not good either:
> https://bugs.debian.org/792580 claims it phones home even in "incognito"
> mode -- and not just to update extensions or some such, but to freaking
> Google Analytics.

I looked that bug up. And while very likely truthful, those are claims that
were put forth without the actual packet traces. That is lacking in serious
attitude.

The so called "local" captures
(
find about when captures are "local" in Wireshark documentation or somewhere at
https://blog.packet-foo.com/
)
that I post, done with my simple uncenz program
(https://github.com/miroR/uncenz), are imperfect because local, but in
comparison to talk without packet traces as in that bug report, they --in
that comparison at least-- are perfect evidence ( see:
https://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr/foss/cap/ , the later the trace folders there,
the more correct technical analysis you find, as I learn things).

Not likely that Chromium wouldn't phone home to the Schmoog Analytics, not
likely at all. But I'm not risking my system with installing that dirt to
figure it out... I prefer using a much more honest version of Firefox itself,
the fork Palemoon... Found it way more honest than its mother Firefox, so
far...

(
And also, let's see if Enrico Weigelt's Librezilla takes off... Or, somebody
proove that Waterfox is indeed safer and more honest than Palemoon... More
people's testimonies on the latter would be needed, for me, to reconsider
Waterfox.
)

Also, regarding the main topic (as in the Subject line), as I wrote about it
elsewhere today or yesterday: Palemoon, on pure ALSA, in my sans-dbus system
--means I also recompiled Palemoon sans-dbus--, audio/video in HTML5 works
here, as far as I tested it.

Regards!
--
Miroslav Rovis